FTP Backup failing (to Microsoft IIS)
we're using Freelance v9.1 (not much longer soon). Until today, I did the FTP project backup to a local IIS FTP server on the engineering station (172.16.1.20, Windows XP). Now we've got a separate node for FTP backups running Windows 7 (172.16.1.120). I've set up IIS to accept anonymous connections and can upload files using the Windows XP command line ftp client just fine.
Alas, project backup from Control Builder F always fails -- the error message isn't helpful (Sicherungskopie konnte nicht erstellt werden / backup could not be created).
Using Wireshark, the following can be observed (see attachment):
- CBF logs in as anonymous
- CBF sets type to "image" (binary)
- CBF sends IP address and port for data connection (172.16.1.20, 256*7+168 = 1960, in wireshark called "nasmanager")
- FTP server establishes TCP connection at the requested IP/port and confirms
- CBF requests uploading the backup file (STOR)
- FTP server confirms (125)
- Instead of starting to send data, *CBF* *closes* the data channel ungratefully (RST), and after that requests closing the control channel (QUIT)
There are no hints in windows event log or the FTP server log. Also attached is a similar session using the MS command line FTP client which works as expected -- that's why I rule out FTP server configuration issues. Firewalls were inactive during the session.
Strangely, using Windows XP's IIS FTP server works. As the connection is local, I cannot capture it using wireshark, but I don't expect any surprises.
I'd be grateful for any hints why CBF insists on terminating the data channel prematurely. Are there any settings in CBF to enable some kind of logging?
Thanks and best regards
Insert the URL that your highlighted text will link to.
Copy the video's "embed" tag into Embedded Video below.