Cannot Open a Released Library after upgrading to FP4
We upgraded a customer site to 800xA 5.1 FP4 a few days ago during a major outage.
Now that the upgrade is complete we can no longer open any "released" customer libraries. The error message we get is ...
[Error]Can't Add 'Diagram Types:Aspect Category Definition' to Library
< library name ><library version> Library is Not Open
Any customer library that was released during the FP4 upgrade does not have a "Diagram Types" object. All system libraries and any "open" customer libraries do have this object.
It seems that the action of opening the library tries to create this object before the library has been properly opened, hence the open operation fails.
(This is a large project with a high number of customer libraries used for version control. Most of the customer libraries are released to protect the code, but need to be opened occasionaly for bug fixes - and also to upgrade the 800xA system to the latest PC DeviceLib version)
Has anybody else seen this? Is there any work around? Rolling back to pre-FP4 is not a viable option.
Voted best answer
Thanks to all who offered help....
With 109 customer libraries and multiple dependencies between them, trying to create new library versions was too time consuming and began to cause memory problems in control builder. We have taken the decision to roll back the upgrade and start again. We have however managed to save the engineering changes that were done following the initial upgrade to FP4. Our final solution was .....
* Export all of our Engineering changes made in the control structure since the FP4 upgrade.
* Used a VMware snapshot of the Primary Aspect Server taken immediately before the FP4 upgrade to create a spare system.
* Release all customer libraries in the spare system and upgrade only this Aspect Server
* Verify all libraries upgraded sucessfully.
* Import all our engineering changes to the spare system.
* Shut down the live 800xA system and migrate the Aspect Server from the spare system to the live system.
* Boot the new Aspect server and re-join the server to the windows domain
* Boot the remaining servers and resynchronise the secondary aspect server.
- In our case the secondary aspect server would not synchronise properly so we followed the ABB procedure for de-fragmenting the Aspect directory, ( note : not a windows disk defrag) which effectively deletes the aspect directory files and allows the secondary server to recreate it again.
Try to open the library in CBM and try to upgrade it there. (you can also open a project consisting this library and say upgrade project).
If this doesnt work and if you can not roll back to pre-FP4, then i suggest to use the following workaround.
1) Configure a single node, restore pre-FP4 800xA backup on that.
2) Open the libraries.
3) Upgrade it to FP4.
4) Ensure that the libraries here are as per your requirement (All changes in FP4 are propagated to user library).
5) Create a new major version.
6) Export the libraries from here to your main system which is in FP4.
Library once released cannot be open.One needs to take care of customized libraries which uses the standrad ones as a warp up.I guess you need to do this all over.Create a new version of this library in the system before upgrade and leave it open.It i required to leave it open because the system extensions of the standard libraries which is used in the customized library might have to invoke some changes in the customized library and hence this library needs to be kept open.Once the upgrade is finished you can change the state of this library to closed.As you say that there can be future bug fixes to this library therefore you can leave it closed.It will be worth havng a check on the new version of the library to see the changes in it after loading the system extensions.To use this new version of the library in your application, once the upgrade has completed, you need to go to each application ,rightclick the old libary and choose the option of replacing the old library by the new version of the library. I would suggest you to contact the local supportline to get a clear and official answer on this.