Is there any recomendations of how often take backups on a system? (Acronis and Fullbackups)
I am trying to find any document that contains how often is recomended to take backups, all types, Acronis (to backup all the node including Windows configurations) and Fullbackups (only backup of the system itself).
If there is any recomendations suggested it would be great to have it.
Thanks in advance,
Voted best answer
Just some examples...
Drive image backup (eg Acronis)
- not approved for online use!
- cold backup at every major software event (Install, Upgrade, Service Pack, Rollup, QSU bundle)
- not all computers of same role (eg aspect server or client) need backup at same occasion. Why not have a running schedule where a part of the system is backed out on some cyclic schedule. Over time, all will eventually be backed up.
- cloning makes it possible to use "CS2" image to restore "CS1", etc. Just change IP/name before reconnection network, domain and system.
Full Backup (Aspect Directory) as often as required.
- in system development phase: every day
- in normal running phase: every week*
External services (incl Historian, eg Information Manager's hsBAR)
- every month*
- with IM archiving enabled the need is reduced
Domain services (Active Directory user and computer accounts)
- in static systems (no pw changes): 6-12 months
- in dynamic systems (pw, user, computer changes): every month
*) frequency need to be discussed with owner of system. Each site and application will probably have their own priorities.