How to set up adequate data backup, recovery, and archive structures?
800xA System Backup / Recovery / Archiving RecommendationsSymptoms:
To secure system setup, configuration, and production data for an 800xA System, ABB recommends the following:
- Ghost all PCs after installing software.
- It is crucial to ghost all disks of a multi disk PC contiguously without rebooting other system software.
- Backup the 800xA aspect server using the 800xA Backup functions.
- This should be performed after the initial configuration and after configuration changes.
- Consider providing extra security by exporting the critical objects/procedures etc., using the 800xA import and export tool.
Periodically backup Batch Management using the Batch Management Backup/Restore utility.
When operation of the plant allows, backup the history database on the IM using the History Backup and Restore tool. This should be performed periodically. The zipped files produced by the backup can be copied to other computers for security.
Configure the archive system of the IM to:
- Periodically archive history data including numeric logs, messages and reports
- Archive PDL (Batch) data upon completion of the batch or job.
- Implement a reasonable PDL deletion strategy, either manual or automatic.
Other Backup and Security Considerations
- Copies should be made of the Excel .xls file or Crystal .rpt files used to generate reports.
- If executed reports are stored on the local IM hard drive, copies should be made of the files.
- Make copies of relevant displays and tags lists
- ADSS settings for special data providers should be documented.
- License files should be stored in a secure location
- Domain controller special settings should be documented.
- Reestablish PCs using the ghost images
- Recover the aspect server using the 800xA generated backup
- Recover the Batch Management created backup
- Recover the latest history data via the restore feature of the History Backup and Restore software
- Publish and/or restore the archives as needed