How to Restore Missing "My ePlant" Functionality in SV5.1+
Starting with SV5.1, the "My ePlant" icon is no longer included functionality with the product. The three options to launch a workplace are:
1. Set a particular workplace to Auto Start via the Workplace Launcher
2. Open the Workplace Launcher and pick the desired workplace, then click Open
3. Open the Workplace Launcher, and Create Shortcuts to desired workplaces on the desktop
In spite of these options, some customers may still want the ability to right-click on a desktop icon and select a workplace. This guide will show how to restore that functionality.Symptoms:
The ability to right-click on a desktop icon and select from a list of workplaces is possible in SV5.0x thanks to a special DLL called AfwWorkplaceLaunchExt.dll. This DLL is no longer part of the install routine starting with SV5.1. Therefore, there are three ways to launch a workplace:
1. Set a workplace to Auto Start when logging in via the Workplace Launcher
2. Use the Workplace Launcher to Create Shortcuts on the desktop for individual workplaces.
3. Open the Workplace Launcher and select the desired workplace, then click Open.
Despite these options, some customers may want to restore the ability to right-click on a desktop icon and select the workplace of their choice. Perform the following actions to restore this functionality in SV5.1+.
1. Copy the file AfwWorkplaceLaunchExt.dll from an SV5.0x system to the \Program Files\ABB Industrial It\Operate IT\Process Portal A\bin folder on an SV5.1x system.
2. Register the DLL by dropping to a command prompt (start...run...cmd), change to the above folder, and type the following:
3. You will notice that as soon as the DLL is registered, you will have an icon on the desktop called My ePlant, and you will be able to right-click and select a workplace. However, it may be desired to change the name of the icon and the icon image itself to match the SV5.1 system:
4. To change the icon, navigate to the following location in the registry:
The GUID displayed above should be the same on all systems, but if this is not found, simply search the registry
5. The (Default) string value on the key above should read as follows:
C:\Program Files\ABB Industrial IT\Operate IT\Process Portal A\bin\AfwWorkplaceLaunchExt.dll,0
6. By changing the filename above to the following, the icon changes to the newer SV5.1-style Workplace icon:
C:\Program Files\ABB Industrial IT\Operate IT\Process Portal A\bin\AfwWorkplaceApplication.exe,0
7. To change the icon label from My ePlant to something else, navigate to the same location in the registry, but the parent (GUID) key of the DefaultIcon key:
8. The (Default) string value will be "My ePlant". This can be changed to whatever label is desired. In this example, I changed it to "Workplace":
After changing the registry values, either reboot the machine or, from task manager, end the process "explorer.exe". Then, from the Task Manager Applications tab, click New Task, and type "explorer.exe".
After the changes outlined above, we now have a functional workplace launch icon with the new icon image and a custom label:
Please note that by unregistering the DLL file (same syntax as the above command to register, but with the -u suffix), the icon will disappear. Re-registering the DLL again will require the same registry changes outlined above to be redone should the icon or label need to be changed.
Please note that this functionality, because it is not included as part of the SV5.1+ product, is not officially supported.