Restore of Aspect Server
We have 800xA server V4.0 runing of 3 redundant Aspect servers.System back up maintained on Aspect Server 1 .I want to back up one servre as an spare for contigency requirement.
I have one spare server hardware.I want to know that what is the recommended procure for making contigency server.i.e what is the procure to restore the backup hardware into new hardware.
Since the aspect system data is maintained by the "two surviving" servers, you only need to prepare a machine that can boot and has the same version of 800xA installed.
I would use Ghost/Acronis/Macrium/etc to clone AS1 (which has the license server installed) into the spare hardware. Then remove the system registry keys and OperateITData/Temp folders and power the spare machine down. Google AKS for the key/folders to remove.
Once a server fail, inserting the spare server would consist of:
- Mount the spare unit without network connection
- If the lost server was the license server, move Ethernet card or USB dongle to enable license server.
- Power up, change hostname, IP addresses and reboot
- Join domain, reboot.
- Node Administration Structure -> failed server -> Node Definition -> "Connect node"
- Monitor System Status viewer and System Event List for related statuses & events during sync.
The spare machine is also a suitable testbed when testing the full backups that you schedule in the production system. You could have it connected to the domain with a different IP address/name and use "Generate New ID" when testing the restore of a full backup. However, I would probably perform these checks in a virtualized clone of AS1 to avoid the potential mess of having a testbed connected to the production network could cause.