Modbus RTU over TCP
In one of my project we have a requirement to communicate with a 3rd party system using Modbus "RTU over TCP" as protocol. Has anyone had past experience is using this protocol. I understand that CI867 module does not support this protocol.
The system configuration is AC800M PM891 controller, 800xA 5.1 FP4 RevE.
Appreciate any kind of support in this regards.
Voted best answer
If i understand your requirement correctly, you want to connect Modbus RTU slave on Modbus TCP using CI867.
We have connected modbus RTU slaves on modus TCP using (Moxa) protocol converter in one project. This converter works as gateway for communication between Modbus TCP and RTU slaves.
Below is the picture for your reference.
At first you can easily configure your CI867 as a Master or Slave.
Ahead,for CI867 TCP work, perform following steps:
1. if you are acting as a Slave you have to configure your CI867 as Slave
2. Assign your CI867 an IP, recommended to be in series of other 3rd party IP series.
3. There are two ports available on CI867 card: 10 MBPS port ,and 100/10 MBPs port. You can use either of them acc to your suitability.
4. Now, insert a LAN cable from CI867 port to LAN port of your Network Switch.
5. You have to purchase a MOXA Terminal Server (as mentioned in answers also it will act as a Gateway in between) Good models are CN2510 series,or CN2610/2650 series.
6. They will have either Serial RS232 ports OR (physically RJ45 ports) whom you can configure according to your need as RS232 or RS485.
7. You need to configure your MOXA switch an IP. And then you can connect it to your laptop/computer for checking the data on various outputs available. Like you can then convert RS232 to USB or RS485 to LAN .
8. Now,if you are working as a slave , then just assign your data some Addresses.
9. 3rd party will ping then both MOXA and your CI867 ,they should ping OK.
10. Then there are testing softwares available like MDBUS, MODSCAN where you can check the data is coming or not.
A) CONFIGURE 867 & GIVE HIM AN IP
B) Connect LAN from CI867 to NETWORK SWITCH
C) CONFIGURE MOXA SWITCH AN IP
D) THEN THIS MOXA SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO3RD PARTY SYSTEM COMPUTER ON LAN BASIS. i.e. he should ping OK the MOXA IP.
E) CHECK THE DATA.
Its already Closed,just wanted to share.