Anyone done 800xA 6.0.3 rollup (Online Update Mode) with multi-function servers, MOD Connect and Batch?
"MOD R&D typically tests with an Aspect Server / MOD Connectivity Server combo, but do not add a Domain Controller. Likewise, since a Batch Server and IM typically require quite a large amount of resources, they do not add these functions to a combination Server node."
We are mainly worried about Batch using the Online Update Mode. We want to use the Online Update Mode since our batch plant rarely has a full shutdown.
Take the person who decided to roll up all of those functions into a single multi function server out back and leave them there. Don't let them anywhere near the server room again. This is why Virtualisation is a thing. There is simply no reason why those functions should all be in the same server - and lots of reasons why they should each be on separate virtual machines.
VMware can possibly save you here - or at least let you test what you need to do ....
VMWareConvert your existing machines into virtual machines, then run up a cloned copy of your system on different hardware in your office. Run the upgrade, test it, roll it back, run it again all on the virtual system. While it would be better to use a bare metal VSphere server - VMWare Workstation Pro, running on a Windows machine will work perfectly well for this testing. VMware is a few hundred US$ - or about 2 minutes worth of downtime - so well worth the price.
Upgrading running batch servers requires a restart and all of the associated risks. Things will go much smoother if you are able to ensure that none of your active batches change while you are doing the upgrade and you have one batch server offline. If you are able to hold every batch then that might be safer. On the bright side, at least you have redundant batch servers.
And if it does all go horribly wrong, you have the VMware virtual machines as backup.
Our main concern is with Batch during the online upgrade. As you said, I think we may be unique with this particular setup. I think we have decided to wait for a window that allows an offline update.
Sorry about the multiple posts, it kept returning a "Service Unavailable" error when I posted the question.