Best place to change Security settings in 800xA?
- Trend Display (not operator trend, but Trend Display aspect linked to a graphic)
- Harmony Block Details (be able to change tunable parameters)
- How can I tell which permission is needed for changing the tuning value in Harmony Block Details (OpParms or Tune)?
- Are changes best made in the Security Definition aspect, or change the Permissions tab on the Aspect Category definition?
For Tuning Numbers ...
- To figure out what permissions are required to read or write to any property, look in the Aspect that describes the OPC connections between the 800xA system and your controller. For AC800M, this is the "Control Module" or "Function Block" aspect, for AC400 series , and IIRC MOD & Harmony this will be the Control Connection aspect.
- Look in the User Group configuration (User Structure) to find out who has the roles required to modify that property. You can add and remove roles to existing user groups - BUT- be aware that this can be quite a significant change. Usually its best to leave these settings unchanged and simply add individual users to the required groups.
- You can also use a "Property Attribute Override" aspect to individually change access permissions for properties.
For Trend Displays
- If possible, you really should try to use "Operator Trend" aspects. But with some pre-built libraries this isn't always possible and you are stuck using Trend Display aspects.
- Yes, you need to change the permissions tab on the Aspect Category definition. This will allow all operators to modify the configuration of all Trend Displays. (TBH, this is actually pretty common in many sites, simply because you cant modify the object types to use Operator Trends)
The Harmony Block Details permission wasn't as straightforward. The OPC items in question, in the Control Connection, DID have a permission listed as "Operate" (should work?), but those OPC items (high and low alarm limits) were also shown as Read, not Read/Write.
The Harmony Block Details aspect is apparently a web page that does something behind the scenes to write new values to OPC items that are listed as Read. Anyhow, when I logged in as an operator and tried to use the aspect, the dialog box that came up said that Tune permission was needed... so I gave the operator group Tune permission in the Security Definition aspect. That works... but at the same time, I'm wondering what other things there might be that required Tune permission that I may or may not have wanted the operator to access now... maybe that one I just want to change at the appropriate Aspect Category definition too...