Failed to connect Driver Error between AC500 and PP865
I take contact with you with the intention to request your support in regards to an issue that I am having.
The automation architecture is the follow:
- One Controller AC500 PM554 –T (Controller1) for Water Process (IP 192.168.1.1).
- A second controller AC500 PM554 –T (Controller2) for power supply bars transfer.
- One Panel P800 model PP865 (IP 192.168.1.11).
The controller2 is communicating across the COM2 Panel Port, and the controller1, is connected to the Eth Panel port.
The system was working properly, but we had to modify the logic in the controller1. We compiled, downloaded and tested the new logic in that PLC al all was working good. After that, we had to modify the Panel project with Panel Builder 800 V5.1/0 build 348. Here is when I see that our project was made in an older Panel Builder version (V 5.1/0 Build 344). Nevertheless I did not have other choice to go ahead and download the modified project in the panel. After that, all pictograms have lost its animation and the panel shows: 1:Failed to connect driver!.
In this way, I downloaded the old project in the panel but the issue is the same. We think that the problem clould be in the Modbus TCP configuration. So we have verified that configuration in the Controller and in the panel, but we do not see any odd thing.
I would like to know if someone had a similar issue and how I can fix it. I really appreciate your help.
In the attachment, you can see some screenshots from the PLC and Panel Configuration with the idea that you can have more details.
Voted best answer
1. The drivers in the PanelBuilder can be updated very easy trough internet:
File->Update Panel800 Drivers From... -> Internet
Other possibility is to copy manual the corresponding driver (they are located usually in C:\Program Files (x86)\ABB Industrial IT\Operate IT\Panel 800\common files\HMI Drivers)
I can see that the installed driver in your project is newer than the loaded in PanelBuilder. So it is better to update to the newer driver from Internet. But generally that should not create the problems, even if the driver is not updated. Just when download, use the option
Download Driver -> Always.
In this way you will load in the panel the version of the driver, which is installed with the PanelBuilder
2. Still I'm not sure if you connected the both controllers to the right ports. PP865 has two serial ports - COM1 and COM2, look in
COM1 could be RS422 or RS485 and COM2 is only RS232.
In peripherals you select how to connect each driver to the corresponding port. If both controllers are using serial, here you should use COM1 and COM2, and not Ethernet. In addition, for each driver you should use Communication Mode -> Serial and not TCP/IP
In this way Ethernet port of the panel will be used only for downloading of the panel's project for the PC/PanelBuilde
It is other story if one of your PLC is using Modbus TCP/IP - then you have to use Ethernet port of the PP865, load the correct driver and set correct protocol.
3. Last popup message says than the Panel Project was created/saved with the newer version of PanelBuilder than the actual, which you have installed.
This also generally should not create a problems, if you save.
4. Panel's drivers and connections are very well described in PnelBuilder's help: Help-> Controller Help. That opens the currently selected driver
Also - you could connect the both PLC's to one port of the panel, using multidrop connection. In this case the PLC's need to have unique addresses for this protocol. It depends on how it is configured in you project
Looks like some mismatch between controller address and panel address, or not selected the right port/protocol.
I'm not quite sure about your exact configuration, but I could recommend to check:
-try to ping the panel from PC - it should answer to 192.168.1.11
- why both controllers are using ABB /Modbus AC500 drivers? from your explanation Controller2 is using serial connection to COM2? Check if Serial/Ethernet is selected as required
- under TCP/IP connections you are using 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.11, why? Here you should use 192.168.1.11 (IP for the panel) and not 192.168.1.1 (IP for the controller)
- right click on Controller1/2 - check Ethernet is set
- right click on TCP/IP Connection1/2 and check connection
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it.
Let me answer your questions
-try to ping the panel from PC - it should answer to 192.168.1.11 . Yes, it was tested and the Panel answers the ping.
- why both controllers are using ABB /Modbus AC500 drivers? from your explanation Controller2 is using serial connection to COM2? Check if Serial/Ethernet is selected as required. Excuse me for my mistake, the controller 2 is connected in the COM1. Both controller has be configured Communication mode as Serial. Please see the attached pictures.
- under TCP/IP connections you are using 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.11, why? Here you should use 192.168.1.11 (IP for the panel) and not 192.168.1.1 (IP for the controller). That is right!
- right click on Controller1/2 - check Ethernet is set Answered two point above.
By other way, let me comment you what we tried to do today:
1-We have created a new project in Panel Builder 800 V5.1/0 build 348 and we have downloaded in the panel and linked with the AC500. We have followed the instruction in the Panel Builder help. As a result, we could see that the panel and the PLC were working properly.
2- As second test, we open the old project in Panel builder and the system shows the follow message
In this way we think that we need to update the Modbus driver to the version 5.01.04. I was looking for that version but I could not find it. Do you know where I can get this driver version and how I can install it?
Another pup up that have appeared were the follow:
Thank you very much for your help! Best Regards.