CI873 CI 873 Ethernet/IP Communicarion Card FINALLY FIXED !
We implemented a project with Ethernet/IP to command electrical devices (VSD & MCC) from other manufacturers.
The architecture is as follows:
- 4 x CI 873 communication card (800xA system), working in redundancy in one controller cabinet
- Two communication rings for almost 60 electrical devices ( ACS800 devices & Rockwell E300 starters)
- Network designed and provided by Rockwell, using and networking devices
- implemented in some electrical rooms. Also some other redundancy protocols are being used.
- First attempt of communication was in May 2017 and nothing worked as expected.
- Second attempt of communication was in 2017 and CI873 card didn't work as expected. It was our first attempt to let know that there was a problem with the communication card.
- Redundancy never worked and CI873 card got frozen every time that there was a total or partial power loss on electrical devices. Same when a cable got disconnected.
- The network design still had some problem by January 2018, so the problem wasn't focused only in the CI873 card.
- February 2018, the network design was finally optimal, physically and logically speaking. Not having noise with the network functioning, the problem as own.
- , India and Sweden get involved. Several tests began in India, but only using simulated electrical devices.
- Between May and August 2018, several tests are performed in India and on site.
- A new controller is purchased, in order to separate the controllers work charge and to let the project begin with the commissioning phase. Every controller gets communicated to one Ethernet/IP communication ring.
- August 2018, finally the CI873 card memory overflow is fixed and it can manage energy loss and communication loss of electrical devices, without getting frozen several minutes. Other problems are also fixed.
- September 2018, Redundancy is fixed using the firmware 5.0.13. A final firmware is still expected.
Finally the card can work as expected and as indicated in the . Note that the datasheet can (and should) suffer some changes. The prototype is no longer a prototype.
- Involve from the of the project, even if you are integrating the system with another recognized System Integrator, which was our case.
- The indicates that 128 devices can get connected to every CI873 card. Reduce the amount to 30 or so. Further tests should be run by ABB R&D in order to know the amount of devices per card.
- If your project is big enough, try to purchase the proper controller quantity, in order to have more flexibility if any problem occurs.
- Try to avoid Ethernet/IP for electrical devices control. Ethernet/IP protocol relays some tasks to Ethernet /IP protocol, which is not deterministic.
- Hire a senior telecommunications engineer, with industrial projects experience.
- Always certify your fiber optic installation and also use certified workforce.
This question has not yet been answered.