EEMUA 191 is a 'guideline' and ISA 18.2 and IEC62682 came out to be more of a 'complicance standard' for owner operators. Check this paper out from ARC.. it gives a summary timeline slide with all of the related alarm standards.
Please be aware that a vendor's alarm mgt solution alone won't make you 'comliant'. It has to be combined with best practices, procedures etc..., however, the tools and features in today's modern systems can help. In System 800xA 5.1 and above, there are many features that can support a sound, compliant, effective alarm mgt strategy.
Default in the 800xA system:
- Alarm lists / presentation / filtering
- Alarm Response - ability to call up to 4 aspects by selecting an alarm (maybe called alarm yoking? to some)
- Alarm Hiding - dynamic alarm supression based on pre-configured rules, alarms can be hidden from the operator to avoid nuisance alarm distractions and flooding.
800xA Alarm Operations option:
- Alarm Analysis - (see more options for alarm analysis below) This is built-in alarm analysis that can be done on any alarm list in the system (overall plant down to a single object ) and produces statistics towards ISA 18.2 (and other standards). These stats are viewed in operator graphics and can be accessed in data direct reports, Smart Client, and accessible via OPC externally to the system.
- Alarm Grouping - Ability to group multiple tags alarms into one to avoid alarm floods
- Alarm Shelving - Ability for an operator to temporarily remove an alarm , or group of alarms, from his/her view.
- Alarm Help - though this can be accomplished in different ways, this is a way to bring in alarm help instructions to the operator's view as an aspect.
Other Alarm Analysis options:
- Though the alarm analysis feature mentioned above is very powerful and pre-integrated into 800xA, it is more for a single system than an enterprise wide solution. ABB has many other options such as Alarm Insight. This is a full featured alarm /event historian offering that can collect a/e data from any source/multiple ABB and non-ABB systems and perform structured and ad-hoc analysis via web based tools. There are other ones driven from ABB solutions groups such as SmartLogger as well. Again, these packages are more system agnostic but have been used with System 800xA many times.
Consult IT, our advanced applications group for System 800xA, has solutions that help with Master Alarm Database solutions (Management of change). Contact Umesh Chitnis (email@example.com) in the US and he can route you to the appropriate resource.