How to add and configure Serial/com port in virtual server for 800xA SMS messaging?
We have a problem with unstable Serial/com port in virtual server.
We use 2 DELL PowerEdge 730 servers that has one Serial port on the motherboard, we map into the Windows 2012 R2 server that runs the 800xA messenger service. This worked fine until the 2 DELL PowerEdge 730 powered off by removing the power cord from the server, as part of a performance test with the customer. After that, the serial port on both servers stopped working, and adding them again does not work, no fault message found. We have had problem with this once before by using our “DELL service contract” DELL replaced the motherboard, for some reason that helped. Now we doubt the motherboard was faulty at all, since this time we see that both servers fails after powered off by removing the power cord from the server. We have powered the servers off several times and started them again without problems, so we do not know what triggers it.
We would like to heard if anyone have good/bad experience with the items below
1) Virtual server->mapping serial port from motherboard?
2) Install PCI express card with Serial port->Virtual server->mapping serial port from PCI express card?
3) Use port converter Ethernet(RJ45)->Serial port
4) USB to Serial Adapter(not supported/recommended in ABB manual), but we use it now temporarily. Problem is that we lose the mapping/Com port when we restart the windows server
5) Manual says: Only Internal or RS-232 seral external modems should be used. Does anyone have experience with an Internal modem/is that meant as modem on a PCI express card?
SW: VMware ESXi 5.5.0; Windows server 2012 R2; 800xA 6.0.3
HW: 2xDELL PowerEdge 730 servers; 2xWestermo GDW-11 Modems.