800xa can work with Profinet Remote I/O or only Profibus Remote I/O ?
We will choose ABB 800xa for a cement factory. But ABB in Turkey told us that we can only use Profibus. But we want Profinet.
So I want to learn if it is possible to use Profinet as Remote I/O communication ?
Like DI,DO cards, MCC panels etc.
Voted best answer
Yes, you can use profinet with AC800M Controllers and a CI871 Profinet Master module. However, ABB does not sell Profinet IO modules, so you have to use another vendors IO Modules.
If you want to use S800 IO modules then you have to use Profibus.
I've only done one project with Profinet IO, but so far we've been quite happy with it.
You might find the information that you are seeking in following manuals:
1) 3BSE063692 AC 800M for Compact Product Suite - Outline of all modules
2) 3BSE063691 AC 800M Controllers - Outline of all modules
3) ABB Ability™ System 800xA 126.96.36.199 System Guide Summary
4) 3BDS021515-600 AC 800M 6.0 PROFINET IO Configuration
5) 3BSE047351 ABB Ability System 800xA AC 800M Control and I/O Overview
Profinet master Module CI871 is available with ABB 800xA system.
If u want connect S800 IO modules with Profinet Communication it is not possible because Profinet Slave modules are not available to connect with S800 IO.
So better go with the Profibus communication in ABB 800xA System and also Profibus Communication is more relaible with ABB 800xA.Cost efficient as compared to Profinet.