800xa 5.1 rev.b 32 bit server replacement
we are planing to replace old server. We would like to know is server DELL R720 is suitable for our system 800xA 5.1 rev.B 32 bit
1. 2U Rack-mountable chassis with sliding ready rails and cable management arm
2. 4 Ethernet ports all on the motherboard [no add-in NIC cards]
3. 4 USB ports – 2 back panel and 2 on front panel
4. Integrated graphics controller with wide screen support (wide screen has been tested using our supported Dell P2213 monitor at 1680x1050 resolution and 16 bit color depth using a direct connection to the VGA port. Other monitors and KVM solutions
5. 16GB Memory
6. Two CPUs- Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.00GHz, 6 cores
7. Six SAS hard-drives 600GB drives in a RAID10 Array.
8. Hot-pluggable drive backplane
9. Redundant, hot-pluggable 750W power supplies
10. Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition licensed under Server 2008 is pre-installed and includes Server 2008 32.
11. DVD+/- R/W drive
Yes, it is suitable. However, with 12 CPU cores and 16 Gig of memory for a single 800xA server node it would be complete overkill.
The DELL R720 is quite capable of running VMware and several 800xA virtual servers. Throw away the pre-installed Win2008 and you should be able to run 4 * 32-Bit 800xA servers fairly easily. I think you can probably get a bare metal installation of ESXi direct from Dell.
If you are already running a virtualized system then yes, this server is a reasonable choice.